Update, February 2021: OUR INTERACTIVE SENSORY MUSIC SESSIONS ARE BACK FROM MARCH 2021, Now for kids (WHETHER dif-abled or not)!
Creative Rhythms’ interactive, sensory music sessions are perfect for energetic children. Each session is based on a theme which we’ll explore through taste, touch and smell, not to mention an awesome playlist! Some themes are seasonal, some are based on specific musical eras. We’ll also travel around the world, exploring far-flung places and the genres associated with them. We’ll dress up, we’ll dance, we’ll experiment, and we’ll have tons of fun! Creative Rhythms sessons were originally designed for children and adults living with autism, mental health needs and/or profound or mild learning disabilities (or dif-abilities, as I prefer to say). Although I’m now running them for children instead, it’s very important to me that the classes remain accessible and open to all. With that in mind, chair users (and chair dancers!) are more than welcome at these sessions, launching on 20th March 2021, 2-3pm, in Sowerby Bridge. If you’d like to attend, please contact me for location details and any other queries. This covid statement explains my decision to focus on children’s classes. You can read my other blog posts (including a fun activity on how to make your own simple instruments from everyday objects!) by scrolling to the bottom of this page.
Contact me: email@example.com, 07482316571
Creative Rhythms: Tailor-made, person-centred art, music, nature and sensory sessions to develop, excite and inspire
Wouldn’t it be nice to live a world where people recognise that what unites us is far more important than any ‘dif-ability’* that divides us? Music, nature and the creative arts speak to something deep inside each and every one of us, and promote a great and long-lasting sense of wellbeing and inner peace.
Creative Rhythms offers person-centred, tailor-made art and music sessions along with sensory and intensive interaction time and seasonal outdoor activities to focus on what we all have in common: a love of and deep connection to music, art, nature and the senses. Aside from being tons of fun, sessions can help to develop the following:
- Sensory skills
- Spiritual and emotional wellbeing
- Potential for holistic development
- Meaningful opportunities for learning
- Hand-to-eye co-ordination
- Sense of self
- Learning rhythm and tempo
- Motor skills
- Communication skills
- Interaction with others
- Observation and listening skills
- Self esteem
- Sessions are also therapeutic, calming, and inspire happiness
The Creative Rhythms Philosophy is that all people with a ‘dif-ability’ can express themselves and come alive through music, creativity, the senses, alternative communication techniques, and time spent in nature. Find out more by clicking on the ‘FAQs’ tab above.
Blog posts follow. You can jump to a specific post by using the links below:
- Covid statement February 2021 including info on upcoming weekly music sessions: Read here
- ‘Spiral Tribe’: Creative Rhythms’ accessible sensory allotment: Read here
- How to make your own musical instruments at home: Read here
- Inclusive music-making: How Jack made his sister’s wedding day so special: Read here
- How to start growing your own food in a small or urban space: Read here
- How to cope – and thrive! – during lockdown: Read here
- On the ethics of UK abortion laws and discrimination against dif-abled people : Read here
- How science shows that nature and wellbeing go hand in hand : Read here